Lon C. Hill Building
502 E. Tyler Ave.
Harlingen, Texas 78550
(956) 216-5101
Planning & Zoning Division
Starting a New Business in Harlingen
Are you considering starting a business?
There are a few things to consider as you plan your new business venture that will help to get you started on the right foot!
If you plan on selling any food items, whether packaged, fresh fruit cups, or full service meals, you will require a Health Permit. This is obtained with the Health Department. For questions, please call 956-216-5220
If you plan to open what is defined as an Adult Business (such as a bar), you will require a Specific Use Permit (SUP). This permit is issued through the Planning and Zoning Department. The process takes about 40-60 days and requires a nonrefundable payment of $250 with no guarantee of approval. For more information on the Specific Use Permit, please see our SUP Requirements Brochure available online or at Lon C. Hill Building at 502 E. Tyler Ave.

All business types are required to register with the Comptroller at the Field Office in Brownsville.
This is a tax reporting procedure. For questions on how to apply, please contact:

Comptroller Field Office
1900 N. Expressway, Suite C-1
Brownsville, Texas

All new businesses are required to register with the County Clerk's office.
The cost for this is $18. For more information on this process, please contact:

County Clerk
1390 W. Expressway 83
San Benito

Do You Have a Proposed Location?
There are 13 zones throughout the City of Harlingen that are planned for different uses. You are eligible to build or open in a designated zone depending on your business type.
Before you commit to a location, check the zoning requirements by calling:
Planning & Zoning Department at 956-216-5101
Please have the address and, preferably, the legal description of the property. Without this information, the P&Z Department will not be able to accurately declare the zone for your proposed business site.
Before you open for business, you will be required to obtain a Reoccupancy Permit or a Building Permit through the Building Inspections Department. This will allow for the inspection of the site, whether existing, through modifications or through the construction process by the necessary City Departments. Utilities will then be cleared to be turned on. For questions, please call 956-216-5101
In order to display a sign for your new business, you may need a Sign Permit. The application for this permit is submitted to the Planning & Zoning Department, reviewed, and sent to the Building Inspections Department. For questions on permit requirements, please call 956-216-5101 or 956-216-5161. For more information on the allowable signs within city limits, please refer to aforementioned Zoning Ordinance available through the City website and/or our Sign Ordinance Facts Brochure available online or at Lon C. Hill Building at 502 E. Tyler.
We Welcome Your Business in Harlingen. Thank You!

Copyright © City of Harlingen, Texas  2016. All rights reserved.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM