Lon C. Hill Building
502 E. Tyler Ave.
Harlingen, Texas 78550
(956) 216-5101


The City of Harlingen Planning & Zoning Department guides growth of the City and its extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) through land use policies, decisions, and regulations adopted by the Mayor and City Commission. The Planning Department promotes a high quality of life, and a positive community environment through orderly growth.

The Planning and Zoning Department continually supports City Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission, and the Zoning Board of Adjustment, and coordinates the application processes for zoning changes, subdivision plats, annexations, and variance requests.




The Planning & Zoning Department can hold meetings that allow you to meet and discuss your proposed project with essential City Departments.

City Staff from Building Inspection, Planning & Zoning, Fire Prevention, Engineering, Environmental Health, Environmental Services, Public Works, Harlingen Water Works System, and Economic Development Corporation (EDC) will be available to answer questions and discuss your proposal.

No building permits will be issued during these meetings. They are intended to help property owners and developers obtain information to prepare for permit submittal.

Please contact the Planning and Zoning Department to make an appointment at 956-216-5101.

Tentative time for developers meeting is Thursday’s at 2 p.m.


Different businesses require different permits. Also, not all businesses are allowed within the city limits. For more information on your business type please call the Planning and Zoning Department at 956-216-5101.

There are 13 Zoning Districts throughout the City of Harlingen that are planned for different uses. Please see our
Land Use Chart in order to determine if your business is in the correct zone.

If you plan to open what is defined as an Adult business (such as a tattoo parlor or smoke shop), in a Light Industry (LI) do not require a Specific Use Permit (SUP). This permit is issued by City Commission through the Planning and Zoning Department. The process takes about 40-60 days and requires a nonrefundable payment of $250. For more information on the Specific Use Permit, please see
our SUP Requirements Brochure.

Before committing to a location, we strongly recommend that potential business owner verify zoning requirements by calling the Planning & Zoning Department at 956-216-5101.

Please have the address and, preferably, the legal description of the property. Without this information, the Planning & Zoning Department will not be able to accurately declare the zone for your proposed business site.



A Sign Permit will be required in order to display a sign for your business. The application for this permit is submitted to the Planning & Zoning Department, reviewed and routed to the Building and Inspections Department for their approval.

Banners smaller than 80 square feet do not require a Specific Use Permit (SUP).

For questions on
Sign Permit requirements, please see our Sign Permit Brochure. For any additional information, you may contact the Planning & Zoning Department at 956-216-5101 and the Building and Inspections Department at 956-216-5161.


The City of Harlingen does NOT require a home owner to obtain a right-of-way (ROW) or building permit to build a fence. It is up to the home owner, subdivision plat or the home owners association to designate the proper height, material or dimensions for the fence. The fence must not encroach the ROW, and must be placed or inside the property line. Properties located at major intersection shall keep corner clips in mind when placing a fence. Please see our
Fence Brochure for additional information.


home occupation is an occupation customarily carried on in the home by a member of the occupant's family, without the employment of additional persons, without the use of an on-premises sign to advertise the occupation, without offering any goods for sale on the premises and which does not create obnoxious noise or other obnoxious conditions to abutting residential property, such as odor, increased traffic congestion, light or smoke.

A home occupation must maintain the residential look of the structure.

Copyright © City of Harlingen, Texas  2016. All rights reserved.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM